Skip to main content

Can You Refrain From Using Expletives When You Are Caught Between A Rock And A Hard Place?

 

I was in a deep conversation with a friend of mine some time ago on why it is necessary to hold ourselves to a higher standard. Her choice of argument was the misuse of language. She has an immense dislike for bad language. The debate went on for a while and while there were no winners, I got her point of view and hoped that she was open to mine.  

Say it With a Smile

One day she found herself caught between a rock and a hard place. Out of sheer frustration, the choicest words flew out of her mouth. She was deft, accurate, and pretty darn colorful with her language. She knew what words highlighted the issue. She was frustrated because nothing was going her way. To her bad luck, I was in the vicinity and this was priceless! Here was a person who outs others because of their use of colorful language but used every F, B, C, D to drive home her points of view. I guess the shoes fit this time. But, I couldn’t stop laughing! I still do.

I would like to address the issue of how many people look down on others and put themselves on a pedestal because they are supposedly better. All of us want to get by without using bad words. I do not have my preference for colorful language, I use them as I go along. I have been known to choose my words wisely, and refrain from throwing snarls at others. But let us not digress, as I speak up for why it is necessary to stress a point by using colorful language to highlight the issue, or not.

Driving the Point Home

I do not like to use bad language in general, but when the occasion arises, the words flow out of my mouth like water from a gushing fountain. While I want to hold back and stop midway or any way really, it is quite impossible primarily because the words are already out. While I may apologize for my use of colorful language, the deed has been done. Sometimes, however, when a person or situation gets my goat, I try to hold it in (not the paunch please – get with the story already!) and stop my verbal diarrhea. It is so difficult, but I try.   

Angst and Tongue in Cheek 

About a month ago I made a promise to myself that I would rein it in and stop getting cross and bothered. Of course, that is quite impossible given that ... you know I have to be real. Nevertheless, I must say and I am proud of myself that no colorful language has spilled out of my mouth, and I hope not in my prose. At times I try to sugarcoat the duck with the luck just to prove that suck is not about the muck. You get the drift here, and probably know what has been my word of choice. While I pat myself on the back, I kinda get why it is relevant to stop soiling the tongue. I may dish because of my angst but in the long run, I feel that my tongue would prefer the taste of something savory or sweet without lousy trimmings.

Screw It

On this note, while I may not have stuck with the plot from my opening para. Every day is a winding road. And while I take the punches that come my way, meanness, and lack of concern daily, I live for a better tomorrow. Let the dirt that arises from elsewhere settle as I try my luck (uh uh) with sprouting words that have a better meaning. And while I do need the hammer to drive the point home, I just cannot do it without the screw!

That’s it for now. Have a bright day.

Xo

 

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Narrow Path

When I look at your arms on the cross stretched wide Your eyes filled with love encouraging us to drop the divide But no matter which way we trudge You love everyone without even the slightest grudge. Temptations all around enticing us with its wares How do we ignore these pangs and stop its glares? Many ridicule us because of the road we follow Help us set an example and travel the path of straight and narrow.

Can You Chill Out with Your Mom? Can You Add Her To Your Facebook List of Friends?

Whoever said that you couldn’t be friends with your Mom is probably thinking old school mother. I am certainly no teenager, neither am I in my 20’s but getting closer to dotage (uh uh). Over the years, however, I noticed that my Mom was one of the coolest Mom’s in school, college, while I worked, in between relationships and when my marital cord snapped. Let me let on how cool she was and has been through the years. When I had my first crush – she was very disappointed, and rightly so, though at the time I was angry that my secret was out. Here was her youngest with a boyfriend, and in her teens! It was hard for her to digest this since none of the older siblings went down this road. When she found out, all hell broke loose, she screamed at me, stopped me from going out, but she also stood by me. The boyfriend went away as did the friends’ circle. She never left my side, and held me while I sobbed away because he was my one true love (at the time). Ah, the throes of the first dabble...

Will We Change?

The tears, sorrow and pain on His face we ignore Pretense with - that’s a picture, are you so sure? Nonchalance is the stand that we take When will we change and stop this act of fake? He was born to a simple innocent virgin called Mary And His foster father Joseph a poor carpenter Something that we could never ever do It is so difficult because we so love this zoo! At the chosen time when he gathered His disciples together to join Him By His example they embraced His commandment When questioned about this by the learned many He simply replied 'love one another' is the best of plenty. Joining the people, scholars and clergy at a general place He taught them simple parables many did not embrace The idea was to get Him out of the way To pave a road to riches and make their day. They plotted and planned and chose the easiest betrayer Who kissed Jesus his Master, The Savior Thirty pieces of silver was their solution The end result a conscience - a rope so in...

I Was Born Female

How many times do we have to read about babies, women and senior citizens getting raped to take notice? Will there be any solution to this depravity? Here is a little something that I wrote, please let us do a rethink about the way we are with one another and actually listen when people talk. There are times when people cannot speak their mind because of a terrible incident. They are in despair and feel hopeless. With today being Women's Day everyone has something or the other to say about the so called weaker sex. But damn it, when there is nothing being done and babies are getting gang raped, what is happening? I spoke the truth No one listened I spoke sense They scoffed I reasoned They pretended I tried again I whispered the truth No one listened I spoke again They sniggered I pleaded They looked away I tried again Met the same fate I took to the streets Got publicity I was noticed I was heard What was my crime? I was born female I was raped My att...

All the World's a Page

I had posted this in LI sometime back and wanted to share this with you as well. Here goes..... All the World's a Page You have been in my thoughts of late The sentiment is weary But never did I give it a care I just believed that you would be there. It’s plain and simple, I suppose That this is the end Our love never got a chance It just brought about this eerie dance. So when you lie awake at night And maybe think of me Remember, we had it good But now you have changed the mood. So farewell my old page It’s time for me to go away To a place of quiet and gentle surroundings Where love does not enjoy this play.

Search This Blog