Skip to main content

It Is Election Time - No Chance of Watching A Rerun For Sure


Just another day in the life of an average person who wants to watch a rerun of Friends but has to make do while flipping from NDTV, Tiranga, India Today, Times Now, Mirror Now, and the rest. I live in hope that I can watch my reruns again! Will have to wait for the 23rd!


Okay, I get it, watching television is not everyone’s cuppa today, though many of us mere mortals still turn on the television to watch a program or the other, especially the news, at this point of time, with elections going full gusto.

In my life, while I would love to watch reruns of old comedies, Mum watches the news. When I asked her the other day, why not watch WWF instead - I explained that it is way cooler than the mudslinging, she looked at me as if I had lost my mind. What can I say, Mother I replied. My thoughts were, aren’t we slowly losing the plot while getting drawn into debates? I avoided saying anything more, or I would have been drawn into a debate!

We are gripped into this frenzy based on rhetoric across the board. Arguments and counter-arguments in full swing keep us energized that makes us quite ready to go into the ring. Here are some commonalities that I have been privy to.

Conversation between two friends

Did you vote?
Yes, yes, we went. The queue was so small, but we did our duty.
Good, even I went, and the people at the booth said that the turnout was less than before.
What can we do, the political parties are confusing us and we don’t know what to do. NOTA is a good idea, but if I choose NOTA, what is the point. So, I voted for you know who.
Who?
Come on Lija, I cannot tell you that, but you know he has done such a lot for the country. After 70 years.
What do you mean? India did not achieve anything before 2014 during the so-called 70-year story? This is getting stale.
No, way, it is only these past five years, see what all he has done for the country, cleaned up the cities, made black money go away, stopped corruption.
What, are you talking about? What about demonetization? Wasn’t that a blunder? And...
Now you stop with this same old nonsense, my hand says it all.
So you voted for the grand old party? Why did you make me go on?
What are you saying? That was just my hand stopping you from going on and on. I am lotus all the way.
Okay, Suma, let us not fight, you have your opinion, and I have mine.
But you should realize that it is time that the dynastic politics is done away with completely.
That goes for all parties where merit should be the basis. But what about people who lie about their credentials?
So what, have you never lied? Why are you people always after someone who has worked her/his way to the top. Does such a lot for the poor people, and you always find fault with them? Our PM is a wonderful human being.
You have met him?
No, how will he meet me, such a common person?
But, you said he is for everyone and all that.
What you think, Rahul is great eh?
I never said that, did I?
So you think you are better than me?
I never said that Suma, come on, let’s leave politics aside and continue with our friendship.
I agree Lija, we are friends. Here, I made pickle, give it to your husband when he comes home for dinner.
They hug each other, but after this conversation, neither have met for over a fortnight! Guess the divide began.

The next one

We should vote this guy out, he is so wrong for the country. Let us tell everyone to do their bit and hope that he is voted out.
Messages and social media forwards do the rounds.
Bhakts and Lutyens, left and right, get into the conversation. All hell breaks loose.
He is the only one who can change our country and make it better. He is like God.
Seriously, he is just a person.
What God, let’s get on with the conversation about what has been achieved in 5 years!
Pappu is actually looting the country. Did you see that video on Facebook?
That was fake, don’t you keep up?
How do you know? He told you, eh?
You shouldn’t believe everything you watch or read.
I know that is why I don’t believe that NYAY scheme. It is all bogus.
How do you know, were you consulted?
No! We know that dynastic politics is skewed. For 70 years we have been under the rule of one family. Our honorable PM is doing so much to help and you Pakis are horrible.
Do you mean to say there were no roads, no education, no work, no economic development, no progress, nothing? And I am an Indian by the way!
Ya, look at the roads, they are bad. We have to pay to get a seat in a college. After college no jobs, economic development – we have improved in the past 5 years, never before.
Get real, what about the demo debacle, GST, no jobs,
Pappu is the cause.
A centrist chips in - Hope that all of you realize that the politicians are going to have the last laugh, the winners will enjoy their seats, but we as citizens may feel the pinch, either way.
Who are you? What are you doing here, this is a closed conversation only open to us people who are for NAMO and the other sickulars.
I am a centrist, I am a citizen and I have a right.
Please leave, we need to have a healthy debate.
Let us hear her out.
She is not from here. See her name, she is a paki agent.
Oh well, this is healthy right? And by the way, people I am an Indian. Centrist leaves.
Everyone joins together to tear the centrist apart. Unity is palpable.

So that is it, from me folks, whether we like it or not, our politicians will keep on with the rhetoric, padyatras, meet and greet citizens, and what have you. We lap this up, get drawn into debates, lose out friendships, crib, and troll or get trolled on social media, and you get the drift. And we watch debates! Hahaha

All I can say is let the best person lead our country. To all the contenders for the top jobs, I pray for all you guys and hope that we will always be in your hearts.

I am pretty apolitical in my views, so please don’t troll me. :))))

Oh wait, I can hear another television debate on, Mum watching it glued to the television set taking in the shouts and all. Oh well!

I’m out. Amazon Prime here I come.

Xo


Comments

Mimi said…
Ayyoooo Ayyoooo Ayyoooo! Election stuff again. Flipkart here I come 😎

Popular posts from this blog

Remote Rehab Watchers

What really annoys the sibling, are the soaps and serials I’m hooked onto. She’s like ‘why can’t you watch something informative instead of the usual jazz’ that I (supposedly) watch. What can I say - I’m a couch potato and love the title. She waits for a while and once she notices I am away from the remote she pounces and grabs it. I was too slow for that one! I hate this situation. Makes me feel so helpless, but I have to stay put otherwise you know the drill. She’ll fight and I will retort and cold shoulder treatment for a while. The poor sucker (the remote here) will have to face the wrath. I placate myself with the ‘anyway we have another television’ so I rush towards it and see the remote in the hands of the other sibling. I never win! But I have a new idea I will hide the remotes so that they don’t put me in this situation ever again. I wait for a suitable opportunity and hide them only feel two pairs of eyes watching me (like hawks). Why people are so sexist with the

Will We Change?

The tears, sorrow and pain on His face we ignore Pretense with - that’s a picture, are you so sure? Nonchalance is the stand that we take When will we change and stop this act of fake? He was born to a simple innocent virgin called Mary And His foster father Joseph a poor carpenter Something that we could never ever do It is so difficult because we so love this zoo! At the chosen time when he gathered His disciples together to join Him By His example they embraced His commandment When questioned about this by the learned many He simply replied 'love one another' is the best of plenty. Joining the people, scholars and clergy at a general place He taught them simple parables many did not embrace The idea was to get Him out of the way To pave a road to riches and make their day. They plotted and planned and chose the easiest betrayer Who kissed Jesus his Master, The Savior Thirty pieces of silver was their solution The end result a conscience - a rope so in

Cheating

Why do people throw good relationships for a quick roll in the hay? This practice seems to be growing and practically every second person in a committed relationship doesn’t think twice about two timing his/her partner. However, when they are “found out” these individuals don’t think twice about promising the moon and once forgiven you can be pretty sure that they are gonna do (sic) the deed again and again. I think that once they go the entire hog, they just aren’t gonna curb their enthusiasm! Cheaters know their partners will relent no matter what. They preen themselves with having “won”! However, if a person cheats on me, I would tell the jerk to beat it. Rather be single, keep your dignity intact than stick with some douche bag. Not my cuppa … What about you my lovelies?

Narrow Path

When I look at your arms on the cross stretched wide Your eyes filled with love encouraging us to drop the divide But no matter which way we trudge You love everyone without even the slightest grudge. Temptations all around enticing us with its wares How do we ignore these pangs and stop its glares? Many ridicule us because of the road we follow Help us set an example and travel the path of straight and narrow.

Search This Blog