Skip to main content

So, What Is the New Normal Anyway?

You know that time when you want to snack on something and the lockdown has you going around in circles, simply put - you did not stack up the goodies. Huge boo-boo. You are now on a quest to find a solution, any treat suffices, even the stuff you loathed earlier. You try anything that you can get your hands on to munch, and alternatives appear out of nowhere. The kitchen is your new best friend. As you lay eyes on the stack of potatoes and start cutting away, you fry them not realizing that they get soggy if not consumed soon! The double dip is the solution, but you didn’t know that. Oh brother! You now realize that diving in immediately is a must. And you munch away. Huge relief!

My go-to snack has and will always be a packet of chips, diet be dammed. I got to thinking, however, while I managed to munch on a packet of Lays (the best snack in my book), many do not even have a glass of water to drink! And as I ponder over the divide that is so glaring - the poor, the have’s, the have nots, the in-betweens (me) I wonder if I have done my bit, at all for someone who needs a hand? So I make an effort.

During this lockdown, I re-established contact with long lost friends, some frenemies as we realize that we are in this mess together. Many of my contacts are extremely fortunate and many who are not as fortunate as the ones who dish out goodies left, right, and center.

I don’t know how this disgusting evil virus came to be - conspiracy theories do the rounds. Could it be the rat, bat, or other animals that caused this pandemic or is it a man-made virus created by evildoers. We ponder over the various theories and come up with our own.  

The side effect. No work, salary cuts if any, no money, no food, bills pining up, wearing a mask in public, physical distancing, no food, the lists go on. We are fed with symptoms every day as additional symptoms are added to the list and we take notes! Hourly unverified WhatsApp messages do the rounds. Since we are in a tizzy, we believe anything, everything. We doubt the source but seeds of doubt creep in - perhaps there is some truth to the tale.

This damn pandemic has taken over our lives, plain and simple.

The routines of the past simply do not pan out at this point. We are told to change toward a new normal. But, what is this new normal anyway? I am so for wearing masks given that anyone can contract the virus because corona/covid-19 has no favorites. Unfortunately, many people who wear masks in public do not cover their mouths and noses! They wear it like a chin brace, or a necklace or whatever. Haven’t we been educated about the seriousness of this virus? Don’t these people get that their lackadaisical attitude can be the death of someone who innocently went out to buy groceries or medicine for the family? Being at home all the time is not everyone’s cuppa, I get that, but when you think of others rather than yourself, you will help in flattening the curve.

The fact is simple - life is not the same, this is a scary new normal.

Whether we like it or not, we have to deal with the problem. And while that is a pain, we need to kick covid’s butt, once and for all. And if that means that we change our lives for a better tomorrow, let us join the fight in doing so. While we are at it, let us also spare a moment for people who haven’t been able to get to their homes. The hundreds of thousands who have contracted the virus. Thousands have passed on without being able to meet their loved ones. Many who are in harm's way daily. Doctors, health care workers, cops, grocery guys, delivery agents, vendors, and many others who brave the storm to take care of us, every single. And to add to the problem, domestic violence is growing.

But let us give praise where it is due. Liquor shops have opened. Yay! We can swig on beer, a glass of wine, a shot of whiskey or two. Kinda like the old normal, with a twist of lime or pineapple. Guess life has quite literally given us lemons, and with the calcium content of the zesty citrus, we can have our pina colada and swig it too. I am kinda miffed about the ciggies and the paan shops opening though, this is gonna get us in a tailspin, with the puffing, spitting, and ... and.. Let us hope that peeing in public, is not a part of the new normal too! Let that be a part of the old never normal.

 

 


Comments

Unknown said…
Awesome 👍 every person should realize why we r living n what for ..? Praise the heavenly beloved father JESUS in the name I pray 🙏 Amen

Popular posts from this blog

Can You Chill Out with Your Mom? Can You Add Her To Your Facebook List of Friends?

Whoever said that you couldn’t be friends with your Mom is probably thinking old school mother. I am certainly no teenager, neither am I in my 20’s but getting closer to dotage (uh uh). Over the years, however, I noticed that my Mom was one of the coolest Mom’s in school, college, while I worked, in between relationships and when my marital cord snapped. Let me let on how cool she was and has been through the years. When I had my first crush – she was very disappointed, and rightly so, though at the time I was angry that my secret was out. Here was her youngest with a boyfriend, and in her teens! It was hard for her to digest this since none of the older siblings went down this road. When she found out, all hell broke loose, she screamed at me, stopped me from going out, but she also stood by me. The boyfriend went away as did the friends’ circle. She never left my side, and held me while I sobbed away because he was my one true love (at the time). Ah, the throes of the first dabble...

Narrow Path

When I look at your arms on the cross stretched wide Your eyes filled with love encouraging us to drop the divide But no matter which way we trudge You love everyone without even the slightest grudge. Temptations all around enticing us with its wares How do we ignore these pangs and stop its glares? Many ridicule us because of the road we follow Help us set an example and travel the path of straight and narrow.

All the World's a Page

I had posted this in LI sometime back and wanted to share this with you as well. Here goes..... All the World's a Page You have been in my thoughts of late The sentiment is weary But never did I give it a care I just believed that you would be there. It’s plain and simple, I suppose That this is the end Our love never got a chance It just brought about this eerie dance. So when you lie awake at night And maybe think of me Remember, we had it good But now you have changed the mood. So farewell my old page It’s time for me to go away To a place of quiet and gentle surroundings Where love does not enjoy this play.

I Was Born Female

How many times do we have to read about babies, women and senior citizens getting raped to take notice? Will there be any solution to this depravity? Here is a little something that I wrote, please let us do a rethink about the way we are with one another and actually listen when people talk. There are times when people cannot speak their mind because of a terrible incident. They are in despair and feel hopeless. With today being Women's Day everyone has something or the other to say about the so called weaker sex. But damn it, when there is nothing being done and babies are getting gang raped, what is happening? I spoke the truth No one listened I spoke sense They scoffed I reasoned They pretended I tried again I whispered the truth No one listened I spoke again They sniggered I pleaded They looked away I tried again Met the same fate I took to the streets Got publicity I was noticed I was heard What was my crime? I was born female I was raped My att...

Beginning of the End?

A short story here... Just read and let me know what you think? I haven't concluded the story just going with the flow. The erratic nature of the power supply left the entire city in the lurch and this seemed to be a frequent occurrence. In spite of pleadings to curb global warming people paid no heed to the warnings and this brought about the swarm …. The beginning was when the entire country was wiped out in darkness and stampedes all over going on well into the night. Headlights of passing vehicles were the only source of light as generators were giving way because of the scarcity of fuel available. Every living being was being held hostage because of the “no power and no water” adage. No rainfall = less electricity = no water = no produce = malnutrition. The crops were in a mess, pets were getting crazed, and livestock was dropping dead by the minute. Drought was at an all time high. Neighboring countries pitched in, but this deluge was gaining momentum across cou...

Search This Blog