Skip to main content

#MeToo #YouToo? And Counting


The #MeToo story has caught on and how, with girls, young women, older women, young boys, and men who feel the need to stand tall and say enough already! Guess we can talk about the number of stories doing the rounds, but what does one do, when one comes face to face with a creep with no way out?

I would like to take a look at the number of men, women, kids, boys, and girls who have been abused for no fault of theirs, where some are going through the pain, and remain silent because they have no choice. Here are some true tales of sadness that engulf our lives because of perverts who cannot keep it in their pants, or get high because they feel that they have the power so they inflict pain. I do not want to go all-negative male because there are women who are terrible too.

Case One
Ratna (name changed) goes for an interview and after a series of meetings comes face-to-face with the head of the human resource team. He is on top of the food chain, with an amazing brain. Personally, he is married, has a family, but enjoys his flings on the side. Ratna is a pretty girl and is someone he would like to proposition. Professionally she is the right fit, but that does not factor. He runs through the usual questions and asks her out to finalize the deal. This should be an open and shut case so why settle outside the confines of the office? After a series of texts from the bloke, she reports it, and while he gets away with his behavior, she faces dissension in the industry because he decides to speak about her in unsavory terms. She did not go out with him, by the way. Oh well!

Case Two
Walking down the road in Bangalore or any part of the country, you can expect lewd comments from creepy characters. Intolerant creatures of habit, believe they have the right to bestow their comments about the woman/girl and her character. The next step is to be pinched on your butt or anywhere, they squeeze your breasts and you feel the shame. We call it eve teasing in India, but this is really a case of sickness and an over heightened power trip. Add #MeToo if you have gone through this nonsense.

Case Three
On social media, if you put up pictures, chances are that your friends may like the pictures. Friends of friends and their friends who are strangers to you may go a trifle further and post nasty comments. As someone said a few days ago, perhaps it is wise to keep pictures in a safe place, as we did before social media. This may stop lewd comments. Heck man, that is okay I guess, but to each her/his own, being targeted for no rhyme or reason is pretty sick. Trolls do what they want, and get away with it, when they are not a part of the story, anyway! Think this qualifies as a #MeToo debate?

I am pretty sure that we have innumerable people who have experienced #MeToo moments and have the guts to bring it to the fore. The number of people who have not spoken out but know what it feels like to be mentally and physically abused should also be applauded even if they do not voice their opinions.

As for me, I have been poked and prodded by creeps on the road, felt up, cupped, pinched, been taken advantage of, and definitely, believe that the tribe will be around. At present, I believe I am ‘aunty’ material so I guess I am free or am I!
Women, girls, boys, and men who have been at the mercy of someone raping them would probably feel worse. The fact is that most people who have indulged in gross nastiness hardly face the flack. I end here knowing that while there are many ‘me too’ folk out there, what can we do about it except feel a sense of unity in this great travesty.

Sorry folks, not many people who rape, lech, molest, feel you up, give you the beady eye, pinch you, cup you, smack you around, use you and do disgusting things to you, are ever going to give up on their idea of a good life. When they are found out, and some do, they cover their faces and feel remorse; some even cry stating that they were wrongly accused. Why cover the face, many of us wonder, is it because the game is up or because everyone knows the person for who s/he actually is?

How about we join together with the people who have been wronged. Hope that the people who wronged them will change their diatribe and their behavior, period. What say? In chorus let us join them as we chant #WeAreWithYou



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It Is Election Time - No Chance of Watching A Rerun For Sure

Just another day in the life of an average person who wants to watch a rerun of Friends but has to make do while flipping from NDTV, Tiranga, India Today, Times Now, Mirror Now, and the rest. I live in hope that I can watch my reruns again! Will have to wait for the 23rd! Okay, I get it, watching television is not everyone’s cuppa today, though many of us mere mortals still turn on the television to watch a program or the other, especially the news, at this point of time, with elections going full gusto. In my life, while I would love to watch reruns of old comedies, Mum watches the news. When I asked her the other day, why not watch WWF instead - I explained that it is way cooler than the mudslinging, she looked at me as if I had lost my mind. What can I say, Mother I replied. My thoughts were, aren’t we slowly losing the plot while getting drawn into debates? I avoided saying anything more, or I would have been drawn into a debate! We are gripped into this frenzy based on rhe

Remote Rehab Watchers

What really annoys the sibling, are the soaps and serials I’m hooked onto. She’s like ‘why can’t you watch something informative instead of the usual jazz’ that I (supposedly) watch. What can I say - I’m a couch potato and love the title. She waits for a while and once she notices I am away from the remote she pounces and grabs it. I was too slow for that one! I hate this situation. Makes me feel so helpless, but I have to stay put otherwise you know the drill. She’ll fight and I will retort and cold shoulder treatment for a while. The poor sucker (the remote here) will have to face the wrath. I placate myself with the ‘anyway we have another television’ so I rush towards it and see the remote in the hands of the other sibling. I never win! But I have a new idea I will hide the remotes so that they don’t put me in this situation ever again. I wait for a suitable opportunity and hide them only feel two pairs of eyes watching me (like hawks). Why people are so sexist with the

Will We Change?

The tears, sorrow and pain on His face we ignore Pretense with - that’s a picture, are you so sure? Nonchalance is the stand that we take When will we change and stop this act of fake? He was born to a simple innocent virgin called Mary And His foster father Joseph a poor carpenter Something that we could never ever do It is so difficult because we so love this zoo! At the chosen time when he gathered His disciples together to join Him By His example they embraced His commandment When questioned about this by the learned many He simply replied 'love one another' is the best of plenty. Joining the people, scholars and clergy at a general place He taught them simple parables many did not embrace The idea was to get Him out of the way To pave a road to riches and make their day. They plotted and planned and chose the easiest betrayer Who kissed Jesus his Master, The Savior Thirty pieces of silver was their solution The end result a conscience - a rope so in

Cheating

Why do people throw good relationships for a quick roll in the hay? This practice seems to be growing and practically every second person in a committed relationship doesn’t think twice about two timing his/her partner. However, when they are “found out” these individuals don’t think twice about promising the moon and once forgiven you can be pretty sure that they are gonna do (sic) the deed again and again. I think that once they go the entire hog, they just aren’t gonna curb their enthusiasm! Cheaters know their partners will relent no matter what. They preen themselves with having “won”! However, if a person cheats on me, I would tell the jerk to beat it. Rather be single, keep your dignity intact than stick with some douche bag. Not my cuppa … What about you my lovelies?

Narrow Path

When I look at your arms on the cross stretched wide Your eyes filled with love encouraging us to drop the divide But no matter which way we trudge You love everyone without even the slightest grudge. Temptations all around enticing us with its wares How do we ignore these pangs and stop its glares? Many ridicule us because of the road we follow Help us set an example and travel the path of straight and narrow.

Search This Blog