Skip to main content

Comfort Shopping and Crazy Voices


Haven’t a clue about what to wear even though the cupboard is bursting at its seams? Join the club. Here is my story…

Feel the urge to buy new duds to wear even though I know quite well that I have something that I can work with at home. The sales stare me in the face practically yelling out to buy something immediately or ‘lose out on an opportunity of a lifetime’ (the slogan) - I take the bait.

Walk into a high-end shop that has enviable clothes available for all shapes and sizes. I try out the outfit so dear to my heart. It fit perfectly and enhanced all the positives! Hello darling where have you been all my life? I exclaim quietly. Did I blurt that out aloud, I wonder.
Act nonchalant but the salesgirl who gets this attitude from everyone has lined up a couple more for me to try. She thinks she has won me over with her exuberance. I do not let on that I am just window-shopping. Try out the next couple of outfits, which are as amazing as the first. I feel great.

Damn it, why did I fall into this trap I ask myself. Because you cannot walk away says a voice. I say I can and try to walk away but the mirror has me entranced. I have to buy the lot.

Leave the trial room and the girl waiting on me asks if I want all the outfits. I tell her that I need to figure it out because this is way over my budget. I can hear the voices in my head screaming that I need to buy… don’t give in… buy… don’t give in… and so on. Without saying another word, for fear she will hear them too, I pay the bill and walk away. The voices subside.

The girl looked happy. My bank balance not.

I walk down the road head toward the car. I look away from my usual haunts. The big bold letters yelling out 50% off on all shoes has me entranced! I am afraid my willpower has left me for someone else. Tell myself that I am just going to pop in, try out just a few and walk away.

I am pretty sure that the same salesgirl works here too or she has come along with the voices in my head. I try out a pair or two and walk out with five pairs of crazy amazing shoes. The bank balance is nearing zero. I am out of control I admonish myself. I ignore the shops and their signs screaming discounts galore.

Oh wait, I really need to buy deodorant, some nail polish, mascara, moisturizer, cream, powder and shampoo. The shop is aflutter with the ‘buy one get one’ offers. I ignore them, walk across and select the products I need. The lady at the billing counter enquires if I would like to become a member. Apparently if I join, I am assured of freebies every month. What kind of freebies I ask, they promise lipstick, gloss, eyeliner, powder, the works. What is the price I enquire, just 365 per year madam they reply. Sure I reply and join the club, get a hamper of the goodies on joining. That was a deal I pat myself on the back on my way to the car.
 
Dammit I need to fill petrol and I have no money. Let it be the voices say, use the credit card. But… they are nearly maxed out. It doesn’t matter, you need to get home, don’t you? I fill petrol and zip back.

Slip into one of the outfits, slap on the makeup, dress up the hair and I am good to go. The family looks great with everyone wearing their best new clothes and shoes (yes I bought something for them too – good kind me) and we hurry out to the party. Everyone oohs and aahs at our clothes… and all of us look at each other with the usual ‘oh this was just something that we had in the cupboard’. The moral, love it or hate it, there really is nothing quite like shopping.

Just your average day in the life of a shopaholic – did I hear someone say me too? Welcome to the club sister!

Xo my darlings, until the next shopping expedition!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can You Chill Out with Your Mom? Can You Add Her To Your Facebook List of Friends?

Whoever said that you couldn’t be friends with your Mom is probably thinking old school mother. I am certainly no teenager, neither am I in my 20’s but getting closer to dotage (uh uh). Over the years, however, I noticed that my Mom was one of the coolest Mom’s in school, college, while I worked, in between relationships and when my marital cord snapped. Let me let on how cool she was and has been through the years. When I had my first crush – she was very disappointed, and rightly so, though at the time I was angry that my secret was out. Here was her youngest with a boyfriend, and in her teens! It was hard for her to digest this since none of the older siblings went down this road. When she found out, all hell broke loose, she screamed at me, stopped me from going out, but she also stood by me. The boyfriend went away as did the friends’ circle. She never left my side, and held me while I sobbed away because he was my one true love (at the time). Ah, the throes of the first dabble...

Narrow Path

When I look at your arms on the cross stretched wide Your eyes filled with love encouraging us to drop the divide But no matter which way we trudge You love everyone without even the slightest grudge. Temptations all around enticing us with its wares How do we ignore these pangs and stop its glares? Many ridicule us because of the road we follow Help us set an example and travel the path of straight and narrow.

Beginning of the End?

A short story here... Just read and let me know what you think? I haven't concluded the story just going with the flow. The erratic nature of the power supply left the entire city in the lurch and this seemed to be a frequent occurrence. In spite of pleadings to curb global warming people paid no heed to the warnings and this brought about the swarm …. The beginning was when the entire country was wiped out in darkness and stampedes all over going on well into the night. Headlights of passing vehicles were the only source of light as generators were giving way because of the scarcity of fuel available. Every living being was being held hostage because of the “no power and no water” adage. No rainfall = less electricity = no water = no produce = malnutrition. The crops were in a mess, pets were getting crazed, and livestock was dropping dead by the minute. Drought was at an all time high. Neighboring countries pitched in, but this deluge was gaining momentum across cou...

Will We Change?

The tears, sorrow and pain on His face we ignore Pretense with - that’s a picture, are you so sure? Nonchalance is the stand that we take When will we change and stop this act of fake? He was born to a simple innocent virgin called Mary And His foster father Joseph a poor carpenter Something that we could never ever do It is so difficult because we so love this zoo! At the chosen time when he gathered His disciples together to join Him By His example they embraced His commandment When questioned about this by the learned many He simply replied 'love one another' is the best of plenty. Joining the people, scholars and clergy at a general place He taught them simple parables many did not embrace The idea was to get Him out of the way To pave a road to riches and make their day. They plotted and planned and chose the easiest betrayer Who kissed Jesus his Master, The Savior Thirty pieces of silver was their solution The end result a conscience - a rope so in...

I Was Born Female

How many times do we have to read about babies, women and senior citizens getting raped to take notice? Will there be any solution to this depravity? Here is a little something that I wrote, please let us do a rethink about the way we are with one another and actually listen when people talk. There are times when people cannot speak their mind because of a terrible incident. They are in despair and feel hopeless. With today being Women's Day everyone has something or the other to say about the so called weaker sex. But damn it, when there is nothing being done and babies are getting gang raped, what is happening? I spoke the truth No one listened I spoke sense They scoffed I reasoned They pretended I tried again I whispered the truth No one listened I spoke again They sniggered I pleaded They looked away I tried again Met the same fate I took to the streets Got publicity I was noticed I was heard What was my crime? I was born female I was raped My att...

Search This Blog