Skip to main content

Disciplined Nagging



Kids face the drill that respect should be given to elders – speak when you are spoken to, sit straight, do not slouch, do not curse, do not laugh at the injustices, don’t … don’t… don’t… and do… do… do! I agree that the mind of a child is like a sponge and values should be imbibed at an early age, but what is with the dictating? Children do as they are told and rebel when they want attention, no rocket science this! However this piece is not about rebellion, but about rules that adults enforce on children but hardly ever practice what they spout.

Here are a couple of examples that I noticed at a social gathering some time ago

• A young adult was berated by a senior relative for taking time off to enjoy a party
• A kid was chastised for laughing too much
• A third was looked at disapprovingly because she went for seconds at the buffet
• Another did not meet the cut because of the outfit she wore…

We live in a world where one has to look at things in black and white i.e. right and wrong with no leeway made for a dash or grey or orange. I think it has reached a stage where people need to be given some leeway instead of following a certain set of rules. Dictatorship in any context is horrid. It is time that everyone learns and practices respect irrespective of age or class divide. I personally believe that one cannot demand respect but have the ability to command it. An authoritarian approach is nothing to be appreciated about and this is perhaps why so many rebel against the rule of autocracy. There is another problem, if we do not realize the pain inflicted on a child, things can spiral out of control. Being negative about everything that the child stands for is wrong and if this is not nipped in the bud this bad behavior will continue for generations.

You let me know what you think my lovelies because I for one cannot fathom the rule of ‘disciplined’ nagging.

Agree??? Disagree?? Write on....

Comments

sowmya prasad said…
agree very much

Popular posts from this blog

Can You Chill Out with Your Mom? Can You Add Her To Your Facebook List of Friends?

Whoever said that you couldn’t be friends with your Mom is probably thinking old school mother. I am certainly no teenager, neither am I in my 20’s but getting closer to dotage (uh uh). Over the years, however, I noticed that my Mom was one of the coolest Mom’s in school, college, while I worked, in between relationships and when my marital cord snapped. Let me let on how cool she was and has been through the years. When I had my first crush – she was very disappointed, and rightly so, though at the time I was angry that my secret was out. Here was her youngest with a boyfriend, and in her teens! It was hard for her to digest this since none of the older siblings went down this road. When she found out, all hell broke loose, she screamed at me, stopped me from going out, but she also stood by me. The boyfriend went away as did the friends’ circle. She never left my side, and held me while I sobbed away because he was my one true love (at the time). Ah, the throes of the first dabble...

Narrow Path

When I look at your arms on the cross stretched wide Your eyes filled with love encouraging us to drop the divide But no matter which way we trudge You love everyone without even the slightest grudge. Temptations all around enticing us with its wares How do we ignore these pangs and stop its glares? Many ridicule us because of the road we follow Help us set an example and travel the path of straight and narrow.

Beginning of the End?

A short story here... Just read and let me know what you think? I haven't concluded the story just going with the flow. The erratic nature of the power supply left the entire city in the lurch and this seemed to be a frequent occurrence. In spite of pleadings to curb global warming people paid no heed to the warnings and this brought about the swarm …. The beginning was when the entire country was wiped out in darkness and stampedes all over going on well into the night. Headlights of passing vehicles were the only source of light as generators were giving way because of the scarcity of fuel available. Every living being was being held hostage because of the “no power and no water” adage. No rainfall = less electricity = no water = no produce = malnutrition. The crops were in a mess, pets were getting crazed, and livestock was dropping dead by the minute. Drought was at an all time high. Neighboring countries pitched in, but this deluge was gaining momentum across cou...

Will We Change?

The tears, sorrow and pain on His face we ignore Pretense with - that’s a picture, are you so sure? Nonchalance is the stand that we take When will we change and stop this act of fake? He was born to a simple innocent virgin called Mary And His foster father Joseph a poor carpenter Something that we could never ever do It is so difficult because we so love this zoo! At the chosen time when he gathered His disciples together to join Him By His example they embraced His commandment When questioned about this by the learned many He simply replied 'love one another' is the best of plenty. Joining the people, scholars and clergy at a general place He taught them simple parables many did not embrace The idea was to get Him out of the way To pave a road to riches and make their day. They plotted and planned and chose the easiest betrayer Who kissed Jesus his Master, The Savior Thirty pieces of silver was their solution The end result a conscience - a rope so in...

I Was Born Female

How many times do we have to read about babies, women and senior citizens getting raped to take notice? Will there be any solution to this depravity? Here is a little something that I wrote, please let us do a rethink about the way we are with one another and actually listen when people talk. There are times when people cannot speak their mind because of a terrible incident. They are in despair and feel hopeless. With today being Women's Day everyone has something or the other to say about the so called weaker sex. But damn it, when there is nothing being done and babies are getting gang raped, what is happening? I spoke the truth No one listened I spoke sense They scoffed I reasoned They pretended I tried again I whispered the truth No one listened I spoke again They sniggered I pleaded They looked away I tried again Met the same fate I took to the streets Got publicity I was noticed I was heard What was my crime? I was born female I was raped My att...

Search This Blog