Skip to main content

Amidst Adversity She Stood Tall



It was well over a few weeks when Sheena realized that she had missed her period. What was she to do? Should she talk it over with her boyfriend Praveen or just go ahead and get rid of the evidence. She knew deep down that her family would ostracize her if they ever found out and she had no other option but to opt for an abortion at the private clinic. She was asked a number of questions and filled in all the information in the form supplied and within a couple of hours the deed was done. She kept the secret from her boyfriend for a couple of weeks but when things were too much to handle she blurted it out. He was furious and relieved but had to audacity to ask whether the child was his! Sheena ran out of there in tears and cried and cried until she was too tired to cry anymore. The next day it was all over college that she had slept around and had an abortion! She was treated like a social pariah.

She looked at Praveen her boyfriend who ignored her and said sadly “To think I loved you.”

The rumors eventually reached her family who packed her off abroad. But even though she pleaded with them, they did not budge.

“I want to stay here and stand up to society. I know that I have made a terrible mistake and have brought shame to the family. But I am willing to turn my life around, can you please accept this Daddy, Mummy please?” she cried.

“Nothing doing,” screamed her father “you will do as we say and that’s that.”
Sheena took a break and started a new life in another country, her new home. Her parents looked after her education for a few years until she wrote home and said that she would manage on her own. She never got involved with anyone as trust was an issue. Her family got on with their lives like she ceased to exist. After some years she paid a visit home but her parents and siblings were extremely uncomfortable at her presence. She wished them well and went away accepting that she had made an attempt at peace.

But Sheena was sad…. her family did not consider her a part of them she was an embarrassment. Praveen was also instrumental but no one said a thing about him. Everyone knew that he was her boyfriend at the time but the same old story. He was a man so it did not matter so he got away with it. He was always the life of the party, had the best job, married a wonderful girl and had a great life. But there was something else in store for him, something that he never imagined would happen. With every pregnancy there was a miscarriage. Both he and his wife suffered over five miscarriages. They followed all the medical suggestions but unfortunately none of the babies made it. They tried to adopt but something or the other happened and never materialized. The realized after sometime that they had to accept this part of life and went on trying to manage without any offspring. Invitations from friends and family were limited and finally stopping arriving. They had to manage with each other.

The truth…

Sheena never did go through with the abortion and gave birth to a bonny young girl who was ten years old when she visited her hometown. She wanted to share her joy with her family and introduce her daughter when she visited but they never got to met Lily. She also wanted her to meet Praveen the father but decided against it. He had seen her in the mall while she was shopping and looked away embarrassed pretending that she was a beggar. She paid the bill and walked away a free woman. Free from the shackles of her hometown and free to love her little girl and provide her with everything that she could possibly desire.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It Is Election Time - No Chance of Watching A Rerun For Sure

Just another day in the life of an average person who wants to watch a rerun of Friends but has to make do while flipping from NDTV, Tiranga, India Today, Times Now, Mirror Now, and the rest. I live in hope that I can watch my reruns again! Will have to wait for the 23rd! Okay, I get it, watching television is not everyone’s cuppa today, though many of us mere mortals still turn on the television to watch a program or the other, especially the news, at this point of time, with elections going full gusto. In my life, while I would love to watch reruns of old comedies, Mum watches the news. When I asked her the other day, why not watch WWF instead - I explained that it is way cooler than the mudslinging, she looked at me as if I had lost my mind. What can I say, Mother I replied. My thoughts were, aren’t we slowly losing the plot while getting drawn into debates? I avoided saying anything more, or I would have been drawn into a debate! We are gripped into this frenzy based on rhe

Remote Rehab Watchers

What really annoys the sibling, are the soaps and serials I’m hooked onto. She’s like ‘why can’t you watch something informative instead of the usual jazz’ that I (supposedly) watch. What can I say - I’m a couch potato and love the title. She waits for a while and once she notices I am away from the remote she pounces and grabs it. I was too slow for that one! I hate this situation. Makes me feel so helpless, but I have to stay put otherwise you know the drill. She’ll fight and I will retort and cold shoulder treatment for a while. The poor sucker (the remote here) will have to face the wrath. I placate myself with the ‘anyway we have another television’ so I rush towards it and see the remote in the hands of the other sibling. I never win! But I have a new idea I will hide the remotes so that they don’t put me in this situation ever again. I wait for a suitable opportunity and hide them only feel two pairs of eyes watching me (like hawks). Why people are so sexist with the

Will We Change?

The tears, sorrow and pain on His face we ignore Pretense with - that’s a picture, are you so sure? Nonchalance is the stand that we take When will we change and stop this act of fake? He was born to a simple innocent virgin called Mary And His foster father Joseph a poor carpenter Something that we could never ever do It is so difficult because we so love this zoo! At the chosen time when he gathered His disciples together to join Him By His example they embraced His commandment When questioned about this by the learned many He simply replied 'love one another' is the best of plenty. Joining the people, scholars and clergy at a general place He taught them simple parables many did not embrace The idea was to get Him out of the way To pave a road to riches and make their day. They plotted and planned and chose the easiest betrayer Who kissed Jesus his Master, The Savior Thirty pieces of silver was their solution The end result a conscience - a rope so in

Cheating

Why do people throw good relationships for a quick roll in the hay? This practice seems to be growing and practically every second person in a committed relationship doesn’t think twice about two timing his/her partner. However, when they are “found out” these individuals don’t think twice about promising the moon and once forgiven you can be pretty sure that they are gonna do (sic) the deed again and again. I think that once they go the entire hog, they just aren’t gonna curb their enthusiasm! Cheaters know their partners will relent no matter what. They preen themselves with having “won”! However, if a person cheats on me, I would tell the jerk to beat it. Rather be single, keep your dignity intact than stick with some douche bag. Not my cuppa … What about you my lovelies?

Narrow Path

When I look at your arms on the cross stretched wide Your eyes filled with love encouraging us to drop the divide But no matter which way we trudge You love everyone without even the slightest grudge. Temptations all around enticing us with its wares How do we ignore these pangs and stop its glares? Many ridicule us because of the road we follow Help us set an example and travel the path of straight and narrow.

Search This Blog