Skip to main content

The Regressive Force of Progression

Much has been said about the actress who has crossed over to foreign shores while promoting a film. However, what outrages the sentiment, is the fact that she not only belittles the Indian woman and her thinking power, but her country of origin as well. We have another actress who has more or less put the individual in place by stating that India has evolved, and how. The question that arises here - what quantifies regression? Is it someone who has embraced the welcoming arms of a foreign land or is it someone who is happy traveling abroad, learns the culture of the land, but still rejoices in what she values the most - her homeland!

The lady who has spoken out about the lack of vision that Indian women have, seems confused. She speaks of a culture that she has chosen to leave behind. And with a diverse act that she has projected on herself with living six months abroad and six here, well… what can the rest of us say except – what does she know? Has she lived amidst the poor ladies who, in spite of lack of facilities, still weather the storm in providing a meal for the family? Has she spoken to innumerable female students who have proven time and again their dominance in the ranks after the exam? Has she considered the number of women who have made a choice to stand up for their rights? The many women who have been raped and suffered the shame but still stand strong? The ladies across political lines who speak for a majority of people and are doing their best in getting a bill passed? The innumerable many who embrace the Indian fabric by donning a sari, salwar, churidhar, ghagra, pavade, etc? The number of women who enjoy wearing western garb, not because they want to be applauded for donning the gear, but because of a choice they make! Crossover cinema, advertising, talks, walks, marathons, one voice – no repression or regression here! Choice!

In short, the Indian woman has evolved, most certainly. This does not mean to say that women from the earlier years were any less evolved. Heck, they show us how to be decent, cultural and radiate luminance while looking after the home and hearth. Every lady who looks after the family with resilience and courage is by no means regressive but extremely progressive! There are plenty of women who stand tall, albeit silently, for their daughters to receive an education that they were not privy to. And then there are many of us who are caught in this precipice of not knowing where we belong. Are we more American, Brit or Aussie with our adopted slang? We ape the west, in more ways than one, and still exhibit our love for the land by going ethnic. What can we say - we are like this only!

But when we listen to what the lady said, we cannot dispute the fact that this is her opinion. I am annoyed at the fact that she chose to speak out about regression. Because, let’s face it, we do have a number of people in the country who are extremely rigid and do not believe in change. The point of the matter is that I (we) do not want these problems to be discussed outside our comfort zone. These little known facts should be kept at home. The old refrain of ‘keeping things within the family’ seems to have gone astray here. Nevertheless, given the fact that this is an opinion, we have to live and let live. Or if we keep on, as I am here, venting because of an individual’s thought pattern, we are promoting and succumbing to regressive thought patterns. Let’s move on ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can You Chill Out with Your Mom? Can You Add Her To Your Facebook List of Friends?

Whoever said that you couldn’t be friends with your Mom is probably thinking old school mother. I am certainly no teenager, neither am I in my 20’s but getting closer to dotage (uh uh). Over the years, however, I noticed that my Mom was one of the coolest Mom’s in school, college, while I worked, in between relationships and when my marital cord snapped. Let me let on how cool she was and has been through the years. When I had my first crush – she was very disappointed, and rightly so, though at the time I was angry that my secret was out. Here was her youngest with a boyfriend, and in her teens! It was hard for her to digest this since none of the older siblings went down this road. When she found out, all hell broke loose, she screamed at me, stopped me from going out, but she also stood by me. The boyfriend went away as did the friends’ circle. She never left my side, and held me while I sobbed away because he was my one true love (at the time). Ah, the throes of the first dabble...

Narrow Path

When I look at your arms on the cross stretched wide Your eyes filled with love encouraging us to drop the divide But no matter which way we trudge You love everyone without even the slightest grudge. Temptations all around enticing us with its wares How do we ignore these pangs and stop its glares? Many ridicule us because of the road we follow Help us set an example and travel the path of straight and narrow.

Beginning of the End?

A short story here... Just read and let me know what you think? I haven't concluded the story just going with the flow. The erratic nature of the power supply left the entire city in the lurch and this seemed to be a frequent occurrence. In spite of pleadings to curb global warming people paid no heed to the warnings and this brought about the swarm …. The beginning was when the entire country was wiped out in darkness and stampedes all over going on well into the night. Headlights of passing vehicles were the only source of light as generators were giving way because of the scarcity of fuel available. Every living being was being held hostage because of the “no power and no water” adage. No rainfall = less electricity = no water = no produce = malnutrition. The crops were in a mess, pets were getting crazed, and livestock was dropping dead by the minute. Drought was at an all time high. Neighboring countries pitched in, but this deluge was gaining momentum across cou...

Will We Change?

The tears, sorrow and pain on His face we ignore Pretense with - that’s a picture, are you so sure? Nonchalance is the stand that we take When will we change and stop this act of fake? He was born to a simple innocent virgin called Mary And His foster father Joseph a poor carpenter Something that we could never ever do It is so difficult because we so love this zoo! At the chosen time when he gathered His disciples together to join Him By His example they embraced His commandment When questioned about this by the learned many He simply replied 'love one another' is the best of plenty. Joining the people, scholars and clergy at a general place He taught them simple parables many did not embrace The idea was to get Him out of the way To pave a road to riches and make their day. They plotted and planned and chose the easiest betrayer Who kissed Jesus his Master, The Savior Thirty pieces of silver was their solution The end result a conscience - a rope so in...

I Was Born Female

How many times do we have to read about babies, women and senior citizens getting raped to take notice? Will there be any solution to this depravity? Here is a little something that I wrote, please let us do a rethink about the way we are with one another and actually listen when people talk. There are times when people cannot speak their mind because of a terrible incident. They are in despair and feel hopeless. With today being Women's Day everyone has something or the other to say about the so called weaker sex. But damn it, when there is nothing being done and babies are getting gang raped, what is happening? I spoke the truth No one listened I spoke sense They scoffed I reasoned They pretended I tried again I whispered the truth No one listened I spoke again They sniggered I pleaded They looked away I tried again Met the same fate I took to the streets Got publicity I was noticed I was heard What was my crime? I was born female I was raped My att...

Search This Blog