Skip to main content

Salty Opinions

I was advised that I needed to have my blood pressure checked …

Everyone has an opinion…

The story goes this way…

Many moons ago, I was at the receiving end of incessant blank calls, and with no caller ID, couldn’t figure out who was making them. This went on for a while until I finally blew my top. To my chagrin, the person at the receiving end was not the heavy breather who had been calling, but an old lady who was pretty stunned at the greeting, and rightly so. On hearing her voice I apologized profusely, but she didn’t pay any heed to the apology and went on and on about my state of conduct, the anger problem, blood pressure, attitude, blah, blah, blah! I listened patiently but managed a meek inquiry as to whether she had ever received any blank calls - she dodged the question.

By this time, she was getting mighty rankled, which made me wonder whether she needed to have her checks done. But the issue was not about my reaction (annoyance and anger) - the issue was that no one was permitted to raise his or her voice at her! Aw…poor thing… I broke the rules! She went on and on and on… there was no let up. By that time I was bored and the one-sided rant was yawn worthy and extremely irritating! I have been told by many that I am relatively easy going (ahem) and getting a rise out of me can be quite a task. But the woman was getting on my nerves and I was losing it. Perhaps the BP check was imminent?

Certain people perceive that they have ‘earned’ a right to instill their opinions on others. In their tunneled view, they opine that one gets older and wiser. Maybe grey hair can throw people off especially kids, but the wisdom thing - not everyone with a smattering of wrinkles and grey hair earns that automatically. I believe that everyone has a right to be heard and respected irrespective of age, status, job portfolio, or the salt and pepper chant. It just ain’t fair that children cannot speak up for fear of being chastened, because they have not 'earned' the right. Kids spout words of wisdom and they are bang on more often than we give them credit! Do you think that the age factor used often by many, who demand respect rather than command it, is based on tunneled visions bordering on opinionated narratives?

....I do...

For the record, I did visit the diagnostic center, got the results, no high blood pressure! .... Until she calls ...

XoXo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can You Chill Out with Your Mom? Can You Add Her To Your Facebook List of Friends?

Whoever said that you couldn’t be friends with your Mom is probably thinking old school mother. I am certainly no teenager, neither am I in my 20’s but getting closer to dotage (uh uh). Over the years, however, I noticed that my Mom was one of the coolest Mom’s in school, college, while I worked, in between relationships and when my marital cord snapped. Let me let on how cool she was and has been through the years. When I had my first crush – she was very disappointed, and rightly so, though at the time I was angry that my secret was out. Here was her youngest with a boyfriend, and in her teens! It was hard for her to digest this since none of the older siblings went down this road. When she found out, all hell broke loose, she screamed at me, stopped me from going out, but she also stood by me. The boyfriend went away as did the friends’ circle. She never left my side, and held me while I sobbed away because he was my one true love (at the time). Ah, the throes of the first dabble...

Narrow Path

When I look at your arms on the cross stretched wide Your eyes filled with love encouraging us to drop the divide But no matter which way we trudge You love everyone without even the slightest grudge. Temptations all around enticing us with its wares How do we ignore these pangs and stop its glares? Many ridicule us because of the road we follow Help us set an example and travel the path of straight and narrow.

Will We Change?

The tears, sorrow and pain on His face we ignore Pretense with - that’s a picture, are you so sure? Nonchalance is the stand that we take When will we change and stop this act of fake? He was born to a simple innocent virgin called Mary And His foster father Joseph a poor carpenter Something that we could never ever do It is so difficult because we so love this zoo! At the chosen time when he gathered His disciples together to join Him By His example they embraced His commandment When questioned about this by the learned many He simply replied 'love one another' is the best of plenty. Joining the people, scholars and clergy at a general place He taught them simple parables many did not embrace The idea was to get Him out of the way To pave a road to riches and make their day. They plotted and planned and chose the easiest betrayer Who kissed Jesus his Master, The Savior Thirty pieces of silver was their solution The end result a conscience - a rope so in...

Beginning of the End?

A short story here... Just read and let me know what you think? I haven't concluded the story just going with the flow. The erratic nature of the power supply left the entire city in the lurch and this seemed to be a frequent occurrence. In spite of pleadings to curb global warming people paid no heed to the warnings and this brought about the swarm …. The beginning was when the entire country was wiped out in darkness and stampedes all over going on well into the night. Headlights of passing vehicles were the only source of light as generators were giving way because of the scarcity of fuel available. Every living being was being held hostage because of the “no power and no water” adage. No rainfall = less electricity = no water = no produce = malnutrition. The crops were in a mess, pets were getting crazed, and livestock was dropping dead by the minute. Drought was at an all time high. Neighboring countries pitched in, but this deluge was gaining momentum across cou...

I Was Born Female

How many times do we have to read about babies, women and senior citizens getting raped to take notice? Will there be any solution to this depravity? Here is a little something that I wrote, please let us do a rethink about the way we are with one another and actually listen when people talk. There are times when people cannot speak their mind because of a terrible incident. They are in despair and feel hopeless. With today being Women's Day everyone has something or the other to say about the so called weaker sex. But damn it, when there is nothing being done and babies are getting gang raped, what is happening? I spoke the truth No one listened I spoke sense They scoffed I reasoned They pretended I tried again I whispered the truth No one listened I spoke again They sniggered I pleaded They looked away I tried again Met the same fate I took to the streets Got publicity I was noticed I was heard What was my crime? I was born female I was raped My att...

Search This Blog