Skip to main content

Castrate the Mind Set

I recall an incident that occurred years ago where a friend of a relative was groped while walking down a busy street in Bangalore. Her reaction was instinctive. She turned around, slapped the person and blasted him profusely. The coward apologized, cried and tried to get away from the place as fast as his legs could take him. I haven’t met her since, but I am pretty certain that she has kids and has trained them not to take things lightly. That is what we must do, stand up for ourselves and not give in to insolent nasty looks or gropes by nefarious men.

Newspapers and television channels flood us with information about rape across the various strata of society. We also hear about the so called ‘custodians of virtue’ professing that it is the fault of the female! Seriously! Then what gives when elderly ladies, babies and little children are brutalized? Damn it man, when will this nonsense stop?

There is another scary problem – the problem of looking away. I suppose the fact of the matter is that, most of us pretend that we didn’t see a thing. Even if we did! A person who I knew was walking back from work one day on a relatively busy road was nearly pulled into a car by rogue elements. Luckily she managed to get out of the situation. There were passersby who saw what happened and looked away. She hailed an auto tremblingly and reached home safe and sound. It took her a while before she ventured out on her own.

To the people who believe that women are the cause of these incidents they are totally illiterate and insane. A man with a dirty thought is the menace, not the female. The people who believe they have the answers should keep a check out their own backyard before trying to set standards for every member of the fairer sex. In short, rapists are rapists and they will target women either way. They do not seem to have a particular ‘type’ of female in mind. Their bottom line is to get on with the dirty deed and believe that the person asked for it. Even if the person is a baby, young girl, a pregnant woman, elderly lady… anyone will do.

We debate the issue at family tables, parties, social discussions, and other avenues about punishment for these crimes. Many want blood and believe that hanging is a solution. Some want a life of solitary confinement. Others believe that castration will do the trick. But I suppose the best solution (a placard I read a couple of days ago), is to castrate the mind first. Aptly stated and very true, because the mindset should change and change for the better.

What say me dahlings?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can You Chill Out with Your Mom? Can You Add Her To Your Facebook List of Friends?

Whoever said that you couldn’t be friends with your Mom is probably thinking old school mother. I am certainly no teenager, neither am I in my 20’s but getting closer to dotage (uh uh). Over the years, however, I noticed that my Mom was one of the coolest Mom’s in school, college, while I worked, in between relationships and when my marital cord snapped. Let me let on how cool she was and has been through the years. When I had my first crush – she was very disappointed, and rightly so, though at the time I was angry that my secret was out. Here was her youngest with a boyfriend, and in her teens! It was hard for her to digest this since none of the older siblings went down this road. When she found out, all hell broke loose, she screamed at me, stopped me from going out, but she also stood by me. The boyfriend went away as did the friends’ circle. She never left my side, and held me while I sobbed away because he was my one true love (at the time). Ah, the throes of the first dabble...

Narrow Path

When I look at your arms on the cross stretched wide Your eyes filled with love encouraging us to drop the divide But no matter which way we trudge You love everyone without even the slightest grudge. Temptations all around enticing us with its wares How do we ignore these pangs and stop its glares? Many ridicule us because of the road we follow Help us set an example and travel the path of straight and narrow.

Beginning of the End?

A short story here... Just read and let me know what you think? I haven't concluded the story just going with the flow. The erratic nature of the power supply left the entire city in the lurch and this seemed to be a frequent occurrence. In spite of pleadings to curb global warming people paid no heed to the warnings and this brought about the swarm …. The beginning was when the entire country was wiped out in darkness and stampedes all over going on well into the night. Headlights of passing vehicles were the only source of light as generators were giving way because of the scarcity of fuel available. Every living being was being held hostage because of the “no power and no water” adage. No rainfall = less electricity = no water = no produce = malnutrition. The crops were in a mess, pets were getting crazed, and livestock was dropping dead by the minute. Drought was at an all time high. Neighboring countries pitched in, but this deluge was gaining momentum across cou...

Will We Change?

The tears, sorrow and pain on His face we ignore Pretense with - that’s a picture, are you so sure? Nonchalance is the stand that we take When will we change and stop this act of fake? He was born to a simple innocent virgin called Mary And His foster father Joseph a poor carpenter Something that we could never ever do It is so difficult because we so love this zoo! At the chosen time when he gathered His disciples together to join Him By His example they embraced His commandment When questioned about this by the learned many He simply replied 'love one another' is the best of plenty. Joining the people, scholars and clergy at a general place He taught them simple parables many did not embrace The idea was to get Him out of the way To pave a road to riches and make their day. They plotted and planned and chose the easiest betrayer Who kissed Jesus his Master, The Savior Thirty pieces of silver was their solution The end result a conscience - a rope so in...

I Was Born Female

How many times do we have to read about babies, women and senior citizens getting raped to take notice? Will there be any solution to this depravity? Here is a little something that I wrote, please let us do a rethink about the way we are with one another and actually listen when people talk. There are times when people cannot speak their mind because of a terrible incident. They are in despair and feel hopeless. With today being Women's Day everyone has something or the other to say about the so called weaker sex. But damn it, when there is nothing being done and babies are getting gang raped, what is happening? I spoke the truth No one listened I spoke sense They scoffed I reasoned They pretended I tried again I whispered the truth No one listened I spoke again They sniggered I pleaded They looked away I tried again Met the same fate I took to the streets Got publicity I was noticed I was heard What was my crime? I was born female I was raped My att...

Search This Blog