Skip to main content

The Quiet Kid-2

Looking up at her mother Sally cried “Mom, the entire class wants to boycott me from entering school. They have been saying such awful things about me throughout the year. I have just received mails in my account from every single student in class saying the worst possible things possible. Why are they doing this to me Ma? I stay out of their way but still…. Am I so ugly that nobody wants to be my friend?”

Hugging her daughter Trish kept consoling her. But Sally was a mess. She was shaking and the tears just kept rolling down. Holding on tightly to her mother she kept repeating “Why mom?”

“Sally, sweetheart there is nothing wrong with you at all. But in life we come across people who enjoy picking on someone. They bully people because of a chip on their shoulders. I will come over to school tomorrow …”

“No Mom. Please no. They will make my life even worse than it is. Please don’t. Promise me you won’t.”

“Hush honey. Come let us go down for dinner and catch a good night’s rest. We can decide what to do tomorrow. Ok kiddo?”

Dinner was pizza and coke. Something that Trish called for and stashed away the meal she made in the fridge. She wanted to get her daughter out of the doldrums and open out to her. They discussed the wily ways of the girls and their attitude. After a nice meal they turned in only to be woken up to the phone ringing at three in the morning with a gruff voice ordering them to open the door.

“Who is this?”

“Just do it. Now!”

Scared, both mother and daughter crept downstairs towards the front door. They grabbed anything they could lay their hands on, a brush and a kitchen knife. The person was hammering like crazy. Looking through the peephole, Sally opened the door to her father who was laughing and a tad tipsy.

“Honey I missed you both so much. Couldn’t wait any longer and caught the last flight out. Look who tagged along.”

“Colin! Stevie! Why you scared us! You rascals!” exclaimed Trisha happily hugging and kissing her husband and son. They hadn’t seen each other for nearly a year because of their work schedule. They enjoyed the family time together after such a long time. When Trish called out for them to go to sleep both Sally and Steven kissed their parents goodnight and went off to their respective rooms.

Trish filled Colin in on the happenings at Sally’s school but warned him not to ask her too many questions.

“She’s being brave honey. She wants to deal with it in her own way. But if it gets too much to handle we are going over to the Principal’s office.”

They woke up the next morning really late into the day. Trish got some time off from work and Sally school. They had the pot roast that Trish made the previous evening and friends over the next day. None of them wanted the week to end but it did and flew by so fast. Before they knew it they had to get back to school and work. Sally dreaded going back to her hellhole. When she walked into school she was greeted to a round of boos along the way. But instead of retorting or feeling beaten she ignored them. At the end of the day she stood in front of the classroom and said

“You can boo me all you want, I don’t care. You may think that you are better than me. But no one is better than another. I read the nasty mails you sent too. Do not for a moment think that I did not come to school because I was chicken. I didn’t come because my brother and dad are home after such a long hiatus. And uh...by the way, I suppose you know my brother the popular soap and rock star – Steven…”

Before she could go on, the entire class was all over her.

“You mean Steven the star of…”

“Steven’s Sally’s brother? O Sally why didn’t you say anything?”

“O Sally why didn’t you tell us. We would have ….”

“So that got to you eh?” she asked. “You love me now don’t you?” she thundered.

“Sal we are so sorry for all the crap we have been doling out,” chorused the entire
classroom.

“Please introduce us to him. He is sooo cute.”

But Sally walked away. She turned back and said sadly

“I was the same girl yesterday too you know. Just because Steve’s my brother doesn’t make me different!”

The entire class debated the issue over and over again but no one took responsibility for their actions. It never dawned on them that we were being shallow. All they felt was remorse for not checking out Sally’s family history. If only they knew her brother was Steven Perr. If only.

Sally ran across to her new bike her heart beating profusely and rode on home. She was free and it was all thanks to her big brother. He gave her the idea over the weekend and she was glad she followed his advice. She was fine on her lonesome at school - the people in her class were not friends anyway. They were just classmates - people she studied with. She had friends in her neighborhood, anyway and her best buddy of all - her big brother Steven.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It Is Election Time - No Chance of Watching A Rerun For Sure

Just another day in the life of an average person who wants to watch a rerun of Friends but has to make do while flipping from NDTV, Tiranga, India Today, Times Now, Mirror Now, and the rest. I live in hope that I can watch my reruns again! Will have to wait for the 23rd! Okay, I get it, watching television is not everyone’s cuppa today, though many of us mere mortals still turn on the television to watch a program or the other, especially the news, at this point of time, with elections going full gusto. In my life, while I would love to watch reruns of old comedies, Mum watches the news. When I asked her the other day, why not watch WWF instead - I explained that it is way cooler than the mudslinging, she looked at me as if I had lost my mind. What can I say, Mother I replied. My thoughts were, aren’t we slowly losing the plot while getting drawn into debates? I avoided saying anything more, or I would have been drawn into a debate! We are gripped into this frenzy based on rhe

Remote Rehab Watchers

What really annoys the sibling, are the soaps and serials I’m hooked onto. She’s like ‘why can’t you watch something informative instead of the usual jazz’ that I (supposedly) watch. What can I say - I’m a couch potato and love the title. She waits for a while and once she notices I am away from the remote she pounces and grabs it. I was too slow for that one! I hate this situation. Makes me feel so helpless, but I have to stay put otherwise you know the drill. She’ll fight and I will retort and cold shoulder treatment for a while. The poor sucker (the remote here) will have to face the wrath. I placate myself with the ‘anyway we have another television’ so I rush towards it and see the remote in the hands of the other sibling. I never win! But I have a new idea I will hide the remotes so that they don’t put me in this situation ever again. I wait for a suitable opportunity and hide them only feel two pairs of eyes watching me (like hawks). Why people are so sexist with the

Will We Change?

The tears, sorrow and pain on His face we ignore Pretense with - that’s a picture, are you so sure? Nonchalance is the stand that we take When will we change and stop this act of fake? He was born to a simple innocent virgin called Mary And His foster father Joseph a poor carpenter Something that we could never ever do It is so difficult because we so love this zoo! At the chosen time when he gathered His disciples together to join Him By His example they embraced His commandment When questioned about this by the learned many He simply replied 'love one another' is the best of plenty. Joining the people, scholars and clergy at a general place He taught them simple parables many did not embrace The idea was to get Him out of the way To pave a road to riches and make their day. They plotted and planned and chose the easiest betrayer Who kissed Jesus his Master, The Savior Thirty pieces of silver was their solution The end result a conscience - a rope so in

Cheating

Why do people throw good relationships for a quick roll in the hay? This practice seems to be growing and practically every second person in a committed relationship doesn’t think twice about two timing his/her partner. However, when they are “found out” these individuals don’t think twice about promising the moon and once forgiven you can be pretty sure that they are gonna do (sic) the deed again and again. I think that once they go the entire hog, they just aren’t gonna curb their enthusiasm! Cheaters know their partners will relent no matter what. They preen themselves with having “won”! However, if a person cheats on me, I would tell the jerk to beat it. Rather be single, keep your dignity intact than stick with some douche bag. Not my cuppa … What about you my lovelies?

Narrow Path

When I look at your arms on the cross stretched wide Your eyes filled with love encouraging us to drop the divide But no matter which way we trudge You love everyone without even the slightest grudge. Temptations all around enticing us with its wares How do we ignore these pangs and stop its glares? Many ridicule us because of the road we follow Help us set an example and travel the path of straight and narrow.

Search This Blog