Skip to main content

Hot-Bod-Gene-Thing

Weight fluctuations, dieting, new exercise regimes and fads have been a constant binge with me throughout the years just so that I could achieve a slim well-toned body (that has been playing truant with me). Gonna blame it on the genes here! Ha ha ha....

A couple of years ago I was enjoying myself at a nice clean gym and loved the way the weight kept dropping. The encouragement from relatives, friends, trainers and others who patted me on the back for keeping fit egged me on to lose more and more. I followed the do’s and don’ts suggested by nutritionists and trainers making sure all the time not to tip the scales. This went on ardently for many months with a whole new wardrobe being the next obvious choice!

I noticed after a couple of months that as the weight was steadily dropping, I was now sporting a rosy hue coupled with adult acne. Advised by friends, at the gym, that germs were the probable cause for the flare up I became extremely fastidious with every visit. This went on for a while until it became pretty noticeable with practically everyone looking questioningly at me about the redness. Feeling extremely self-conscious I visited a dermatologist who gave it a name - Rosacea - a non-curable skin condition. Realizing that the flare-ups occurred during my exercise stints at the gym I was advised against vigorous exercises and instead walking was the new exercise regime that I had to adopt – but “no sweating please” was his refrain. Bummer! This was so difficult…. I was so used to the treadmill and the fast gadgets and this slow pace was annoying me. A constant appendage everywhere I went was a bag filled with medicines, face masks, skin creams and other items, all the time avoiding the scorching rays of the sun.

It has been awhile since I have been diagnosed with this darn illness. I have learned to live with it and “get along” with the flare ups. There is a steady decline from the same crowd that encouraged me earlier and a sharp increase on the weighing scales. Needless to say vigorous exercises are out of the question – so in spite of the walking the weight loss has turned to weight gain! I cook but try to avoid spending too much time in the kitchen (if you can’t stand the heat…..). I have learned that a warm bath doesn’t suit me and enjoy cold showers (uh uh) instead. Cannot get the slim toned look I long for – rather difficult given that hypothyroidism is my bete noire coupled with the red look anyway! All I can say is feeling sorry for myself is not an option. I live life happy and content with the gifts that I have – a caring family, nice work, good friends and most of all a loving, forgiving and accepting God.

Comments

Shalini said…
You go girl. Yas love the way you write. waiting for the next one yaaaar

Popular posts from this blog

Can You Chill Out with Your Mom? Can You Add Her To Your Facebook List of Friends?

Whoever said that you couldn’t be friends with your Mom is probably thinking old school mother. I am certainly no teenager, neither am I in my 20’s but getting closer to dotage (uh uh). Over the years, however, I noticed that my Mom was one of the coolest Mom’s in school, college, while I worked, in between relationships and when my marital cord snapped. Let me let on how cool she was and has been through the years. When I had my first crush – she was very disappointed, and rightly so, though at the time I was angry that my secret was out. Here was her youngest with a boyfriend, and in her teens! It was hard for her to digest this since none of the older siblings went down this road. When she found out, all hell broke loose, she screamed at me, stopped me from going out, but she also stood by me. The boyfriend went away as did the friends’ circle. She never left my side, and held me while I sobbed away because he was my one true love (at the time). Ah, the throes of the first dabble...

Narrow Path

When I look at your arms on the cross stretched wide Your eyes filled with love encouraging us to drop the divide But no matter which way we trudge You love everyone without even the slightest grudge. Temptations all around enticing us with its wares How do we ignore these pangs and stop its glares? Many ridicule us because of the road we follow Help us set an example and travel the path of straight and narrow.

All the World's a Page

I had posted this in LI sometime back and wanted to share this with you as well. Here goes..... All the World's a Page You have been in my thoughts of late The sentiment is weary But never did I give it a care I just believed that you would be there. It’s plain and simple, I suppose That this is the end Our love never got a chance It just brought about this eerie dance. So when you lie awake at night And maybe think of me Remember, we had it good But now you have changed the mood. So farewell my old page It’s time for me to go away To a place of quiet and gentle surroundings Where love does not enjoy this play.

Beginning of the End?

A short story here... Just read and let me know what you think? I haven't concluded the story just going with the flow. The erratic nature of the power supply left the entire city in the lurch and this seemed to be a frequent occurrence. In spite of pleadings to curb global warming people paid no heed to the warnings and this brought about the swarm …. The beginning was when the entire country was wiped out in darkness and stampedes all over going on well into the night. Headlights of passing vehicles were the only source of light as generators were giving way because of the scarcity of fuel available. Every living being was being held hostage because of the “no power and no water” adage. No rainfall = less electricity = no water = no produce = malnutrition. The crops were in a mess, pets were getting crazed, and livestock was dropping dead by the minute. Drought was at an all time high. Neighboring countries pitched in, but this deluge was gaining momentum across cou...

Will We Change?

The tears, sorrow and pain on His face we ignore Pretense with - that’s a picture, are you so sure? Nonchalance is the stand that we take When will we change and stop this act of fake? He was born to a simple innocent virgin called Mary And His foster father Joseph a poor carpenter Something that we could never ever do It is so difficult because we so love this zoo! At the chosen time when he gathered His disciples together to join Him By His example they embraced His commandment When questioned about this by the learned many He simply replied 'love one another' is the best of plenty. Joining the people, scholars and clergy at a general place He taught them simple parables many did not embrace The idea was to get Him out of the way To pave a road to riches and make their day. They plotted and planned and chose the easiest betrayer Who kissed Jesus his Master, The Savior Thirty pieces of silver was their solution The end result a conscience - a rope so in...

Search This Blog